10-Minute Italian Lentil Bowl
Dinner in under 10 minutes? Yes, it’s possible! This healthy lentil bowl is full of classic
Italian flavour. Hearty lentils help keep you satisfied and give this bowl an enjoyable
texture. With a few key ingredients, you can have a healthy, delicious meal on the
table in no time.
1 onion diced
1 8-ounce package cremini mushroom sliced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp red pepper flake optional
2 tomato diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 cup water
2 cups frozen leaf spinach
2 15-ounce cans lentils drained and rinsed
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1. Heat a medium sauté pan over high heat.
2. Once the pan is hot, add the onions and mushrooms. Spread into a single layer. Now leave them alone! Let them brown 1-2 minutes before stirring. Stir, spread into a single layer again and let them keep browning. The browning will take about 3-4 minutes total.
3. Once the mushrooms are brown, add the dried herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes). Cook 20-30 seconds, until the herbs become aromatic.
4. Add the diced tomatoes and minced garlic, along with 1 cup of water. Use your spatula to scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the mixture come to a boil and simmer. While this cooks, drain and rinse the lentils.
5. After the mixture has simmered a couple of minutes, add the frozen spinach, drained lentils, and nutritional yeast. (There’s no need to thaw the spinach as it will cook right in the pan.) Stir well to combine. Cook until hot, about 1-2 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Remove from heat and serve.
You can use this lentil mushroom mixture as a filling for Italian stuffed peppers or layer between thinly sliced zucchini for a super veggie lasagna.
Get Your Greens
You can swap out any type of frozen green for the spinach. Frozen broccoli, kale, or even frozen Brussels sprouts are all tasty.
Pantry Herbs and Spices
You can swap out the dried herbs for 2 teaspoons of a basic Italian spice mix.
Recipe adapted from Plants-Rule